Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on the Rad Power RadRover 5. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
16 reasons to buy
- With the provided video, buyers found the RadRover easy to assemble.
- The RadRover’s fat 4” tires are comfortable and versatile, handling mud, sand and trails.
- Reviewers were impressed by the RadRover’s battery life.
- Any combination of cargo and kids can be carried on the RadRover 5, thanks to a 275 lb payload.
- Riders can charge the RadRover’s upgradeable, replaceable battery on or off the bike.
- The RadRover’s large backlit LCD screen displays charge, speed, trip distance, an odometer and wattage.
- Front and rear lights are included and accessible via the RadRover’s controls and display.
- The RadRover 5’s battery can be securely locked, removed or swapped out with a key.
- Fenders come included with the Rad Rover 5.
- The RadRover’s throttle control makes it easy to take off with heavy loads from a dead stop.
- On tests, the RadRover 5 rode well across urban, gravel and forest roads in dry, muddy or snowy conditions.
- An adjustable kickstand keeps the RadRover 5 upright even when loaded with gear.
- The RadRover 5’s rear hub motor is almost silent.
- Reviewers found the RadRover 5’s saddle and grips to be comfortable on long rides.
- The RadRover 5’s display provides a wattage readout, allowing riders to better gauge their battery usage.
- Reviewers said acceleration on the RadRover 5 was rapid and steady.
6 reasons not to buy
- There is only one frame size available to buyers of the RadRover.
- The RadRover’s mechanical disc brakes lack the stopping power of hydraulic options.
- At 69 lb, the RadRover is heavy. It’s slow-going on steep hills.
- The RadRover 5’s display can not be removed to protect it from weather or theft.
- Reviewers felt shifting would be more comfortable if the RadRover used under-bar trigger shifters.
- The RadRover’s coil-sprung fork uses a 9mm skewer, rather than a stiffer, more modern thru-axle.
Bottom lineThe RadRover 5 is a Class 2 fat-tire e-bike with five levels of assist and a throttle. Reviewers and owners appreciated the smooth ride and attention to detail present on this e-bike. This bike's price is kept competitive by fitting it with a rear hub motor and mechanical disc brakes. The RadRover 5 is well-suited to all types of urban riding, in addition to gravel and mild off-road. This e-bike is not a bombproof trail e-MTB. Riders under 5’6” said they would be more comfortable on the step-thru model.
Expert Reviews86/100 based on 1 rated expert review
Radrover 5 Review – Is This Rad Power Bike Worthy of Being the #1 Selling Fat Tire Ebike? Find Out.
If you want an incredible eBike that you might take mountain biking some day, check out the RadRover 5. Even if you never take it off-roading, it’s a super-fun, mid-range eBike that will bring a giant smile to your face.
Rad Power Bikes RadRover 5 Review
It’s very trail capable but in a lot of ways they’ve set this up to be more of a comfort SUV. Really neat to see the new fenders and the upgraded light.
Rad Power Bikes RadRover 5 Review, 2021
While there are plenty of other fat tire bikes that are around the same price point and similarly spec’d, not many feel quite as smooth and well put together as the RadRover 5 does. This thing feels like a magic carpet…
RadRover 5 Electric Bike Review | Should you Buy it?
It just doesn’t have a very powerful motor at all, from a dead stop, from going up hills etc.
America’s #1 Selling E-Bike, the Radrover 5!
It truly is a good bike to get if you’re going to stick mostly to pavement… but it’s capable of doing a whole lot more than greenways and fire roads.
5 Things I Hate About My Rad Rover
It’s not lightning-fast and I wanted to accelerate quicker… This bike is bulky and overbuilt. 69.6 lb, the weight is a lot to deal with. Trying to get things clipped onto this handlebar is difficult. There is not a lot of room at all.
Review: Rad Power Bikes’ RadRover 5 Is the Hummer of Electric Bikes
The RadRover 5 is a seriously fun machine… We never had a single problem with the RadRover 5 despite leveling some serious challenges at it, including dropping off curbs, railing through mud or even some airtime at a local riding park complete with jumps and drop-offs.
Long-Term Review: RadRhino 5 From Rad Power Bikes Never Stops Being Fun
To conclude, RadRhino 5 (RadRover, in the U.S.) is a solid investment, one that stands the test of time. It is a mid-range fat-tire electric bike that is both fun and practical, well built, and surprisingly versatile.