BikeRide finds and shows you the best prices of the bikes you want to buy. Prices constantly change and it’s impossible to compare them all yourself.
We search for prices on over 120 bike retailers to guarantee that we find the lowest prices – to save you time and money.
It’s a promise we stand behind: If you find a lower price on a bike elsewhere, we will sell it to you for 10% less. For example, if you find a bike for $480 that we have listed at $500, we will offer you to buy it for $432 through BikeRide. The bike must be the same color and size, sold in the US and not include the use of a coupon.
If you find a lower price, email us at [email protected] with documentation of the price. We’re committed to making sure that the cost of a bike does not keep you from cycling!
Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on the Vilano Shadow. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
6 reasons to buy
- As far as components go, the STI Shifters are the main feature of the Shadow. It isn’t common to find them on a bike in this price range.
- Some riders enjoyed the handling of this bike, especially on descents and turns.
- It was a common remark, that buying the Vilano Shadow is a good way to teach yourself bicycle maintenance.
- The Shadow comes in at the lowest price-point for road-bikes, with amateur enthusiasts describing it as a good entry into the sport.
- At under 11kg, this was a pleasingly lightweight option for entry-level riders.
- More than one owner was satisfied with the provision of two bottle mounts.
9 reasons not to buy
- While the caliper brakes were considered effective, the brakes were described as plasticky and some people experienced slippage.
- Numerous riders experienced problems with the pedals shearing off the crank after riding a short distance .
- The saddle was almost universally uncomfortable for users, being described as rock-hard.
- Assembly problems were rife for many consumers, with the general consensus being that this bike should be taken to a local bike store for set-up.
- A lot of reviewers replaced components and only reported a smooth ride once this money had been spent.
- A 7-speed cassette is rare on modern road bikes and riders reported a lack of range in some areas.
- Some riders reported wheels arriving out-of-true. For others, they came out of true quickly.
- A number of users experienced shifting problems.
- The biggest complaint for this bike was that this quality of componentry demands frequent tuning and adjustment.