Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on the this bike. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
17 reasons to buy
- Handling was great on-road, as was maneuverability on gravel.
- Responsive shifting issued forth from SRAM Apex 1 shifters.
- This pony adapts easily to gravel, singletrack, bikepacking or commuting.
- Riders felt this rig was fast-rolling over a variety of surfaces.
- The Journeyman can be bought or fit with either 650b or 700c wheels.
- High-volume 650b x 2.1” tires felt smooth at lower pressures.
- SRAM’s 1x drivetrain and 11-42 tooth cassette were commended.
- Owners really liked the bright pink and accented-black color options.
- Mechanical brakes proved easy to adjust by owners in remote areas.
- This steed’s geometry ensured comfort on long rides.
- Some experts saw the Journeyman as great value for under $2K.
- In the long-term, this bike was reliable and sought minimal maintenance.
- There was plenty of room in the triangle for framebags and bottles.
- A long wheelbase provided a stable ride, even under one 280lb rider.
- The frame was forgiving for aluminum, while carbon forks soaked up bumps.
- One reviewer said the Journeyman climbed like a goat.
- This machine is provisioned with bosses for many racks, bottles, bags &c.
7 reasons not to buy
- Mechanical disc brakes struck some as underspecced for the offered price.
- A number of reviews said a lower gear would be welcomed, to ease climbs.
- Many would have liked thru-axles, rather than the provided quick-releases.
- Stock tires were not tubeless-compatible.
- The Journeyman was not compatible with a suspension fork.
- Multiple critics wanted a bigger chainring up front.
- There were a few reports of multiple broken spokes on the Salsa Journeyman Claris 700.
Expert Reviews60/100 based on 1 expert reviews
Salsa Journeyman Apex 1 650 Review
While the ride and handling are very good… it’s under specced compared to rivals which makes it hard to recommend.
Review: Salsa Journeyman 650b Sora
So who is this bike for? I think if you’re looking for an all-round commuter that you can do road-rides, gravel-rides, bikepacking and touring – at a price that will not break the bank, then this bike is definitely for you.
Salsa Journeyman is a Versatile Adventure Road Bike
The aluminum frame is nicely designed and it, along with the carbon fork, has mounts for all manner of extra water bottles, racks and mudguards.
Salsa Journeyman Apex 1 650b (First Impressions)
So far, first impressions: I’m in love. Got a little bit of snow, handled it awesome… went over a little bit of ice, handled that like a champ too.
Salsa Journeyman Review
This might be one of the best entry-level gravel / adventure / road / bikepacking bikes out there on the market right now.