Bike Size Charts
BikeRide finds and shows you the best prices of the bikes you want to buy. Prices constantly change and it’s impossible to compare them all yourself.
We search for prices on over 120 bike retailers to guarantee that we find the lowest prices – to save you time and money.
It’s a promise we stand behind: If you find a lower price on a bike elsewhere, we will sell it to you for 10% less. For example, if you find a bike for $480 that we have listed at $500, we will offer you to buy it for $432 through BikeRide. The bike must be the same color and size, sold in the US and not include the use of a coupon.
If you find a lower price, email us at [email protected] with documentation of the price. We’re committed to making sure that the cost of a bike does not keep you from cycling!
Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on the Early Rider Alley Runner & Charger. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
20 reasons to buy
- One parent said her 2-year-old derived great joy from riding the Alley Runner.
- A pleased parent reported that her son’s confidence increased quickly and markedly aboard the Alley Runner.
- The brushed-metal finish of these bikes was frequently lauded. Owners called it stylish and beautifully crafted.
- A wide-rimmed, 20-spoke wheelset proved toddler-tough.
- High quality parts were upgradeable and replaceable. This included the ability to upsize to 14 inch wheels.
- At a featherweight 7 lb to 7.6 lb; it was easy to control, easy to carry and lighter than a wooden bike.
- Parents deemed these bikes durable and destined to be a hand-me-down for generations to come.
- Real, sealed bearings on the headset and hubs made these bikes stand out amongst balance bikes.
- A studded pleather saddle was good-looking and had just the right amount of cushioning.
- The build-quality was said to be excellent, solid and smart.
- A removable rubber restraining strap allowed parents to limit steering, for little beginners.
- Lightweight aluminum frames were durable, attractive and of very high quality.
- Assembly was said to be easy, with simple instructions and a supplied allen key.
- On the lowest seat height, both bikes were small enough for children as young as 21 months.
- Various adjustment points allowed many settings for growth.
- Fat, grippy tires aided stability and balance.
- These bikes are safe, featuring no sharp parts or bolts that could cause injury.
- Numerous parents praise the neutral raw colorway, that suits all genders.
- The geometry of these bikes is seen as well-considered for kids.
- Integrated, threadless headsets proved long-lasting.
6 reasons not to buy
- A few owners saw these bikes as ‘pricey. One expert just thought the Alley Runner was too expensive.
- A couple of parents said these models are taller than other balance bikes, requiring the seat-tube to be cut down.
- Some parents would have appreciated the availability of additional colorways.
- These bikes lack a footrest for coasting, unlike some other balance bikes.
- A couple of reviewers felt that handlebar adjustment was limited, unless the stem was replaced.
- The inability to add brakes was a problem for some.
Bottom lineThe Alley Runner and Charger are high-end toddler bikes. Now, this in no way means that they are merely style-icons. While they do look just as good as some raw-finish titanium bikes for adults, this bike is actually built to an incredibly high-quality spec, with sealed bearings and a brushed 6061 Aluminum frame. Wheels are tough and the riveted faux-leather seats are without compare. All this comes at a predictably high price, which one expert has described as ‘fair’. Is this overkill? Or are these bikes nigh-indestructible beasts that can be upgraded, repaired and passed down for many generations to come?
Expert Reviews70/100 based on 1 rated expert review
Early Rider Alley Runner 12in Balance Bike
A slick looking and well-built kid’s steed that’s ultimately let down by a hefty price tag.
Early Rider Balance Bike Review
It had the benefit of it being lightweight and it looked nice. I would definitely recommend it, even at the price tag. It’s something he gets a lot of joy from. It’s lovely seeing him be so confident, so quickly.
Early Rider Alley Runner 12in
Premium balance bike… we think the Alley Runner is fairly priced.
Test – Early Rider Alley Runner (German)
Early Rider Alley Runner 12″
Czyli najdziwniejszy rower biegowy jaki widzieliśmy. (The strangest running bike we’ve seen).