The BikeRide Score ranks bikes from 0-100 based on opinions from users and experts. The higher the score is, the better. Read how it works
Where to buy
Not found for sale. More bikes
Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on this bike. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
8 reasons to buy
- From a lot of angles, the Diamondback Line struck owners as good value; a compromise between performance and price.
- The componentry is decent – including a Suntour XCR fork, FSR headset and Shimano drivetrain.
- The geometry of the Line was judged as progressive, manageable and well suited to ascents.
- In reviews, the Line was regularly used as an example of good starter mountain bike.
- The disc brakes were not considered high-end by seasoned riders, but definitely seen as ample.
- Wider-than-usual handlebars satisfied a number of riders.
- The simple 1 x 9 drivetrain shifted well and provided sufficient gearing for trail riders.
- The smaller 24” version held up to adult use and general kid abuse. It was described as having quality adult parts - on a kid’s bike. The 1 x 8 gearing suited stronger riders.
6 reasons not to buy
- Owners who used the Line as an all-rounder ride, expressed the need for more gears, to avoid bottoming out on downhills.
- There was a general consensus that the Line needs a replacement narrow-wide chainring – as reports of the chain falling off – are common. The supplied chain tensioner didn’t help. Most riders removed the chainguard (calling it tacky and annoying).
- The handlebars on the 24” version were frustratingly wide for one parent.
- While experienced cyclists swore by the value of the Line, a couple of newer riders felt it was overpriced.
- Some owners felt that it was a bit cheap to have square taper cranks on a newer MTB.
- The non-tapered headset limits options for modern replacement forks.
Expert Reviews0/100 based on 0 expert reviews
Seths Bike Hacks
Why Get a Really Good Kids Mountain Bike?
Level 3 expert
Diamondback Line 24 Inch Review
Level 1 expert
10 Affordable Mountain Bikes Priced Under $1000 That Are Worth a Look
Level 1 expert
Visit full review
The Line is well equipped to play on any type of track you prefer… Geometry on the Line is dead-center for a modern trail hardtail.
In comparison to averages of categories
Average All Bikes
Average Diamondback Bike
Average Mountain Bike