Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on the Santa Cruz Heckler. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
11 reasons to buy
- There are options for either 29” or mullet (29” front / 27.5” rear) wheelsets.
- Shimano’s EP8 motor is lightweight, strong, and reliable, and experts generally like the handlebar-mounted EM800 display and controls.
- At 48.5 lb, the Heckler is light for an eMTB.
- Users agreed that the 720Wh battery offers excellent range (tested at approx. 33 mi).
- As with all Santa Cruz models, the frame comes with a lifetime warranty and VPP (Virtual Pivot Point) linkage on the rear suspension.
- Five options for frame sizing (S-M-L-XL-XXL) means a fit for riders all the way up to 6’7” (201 cm).
- The Heckler handles everything from flow to steep tech with 160mm/150mm travel in the front/rear.
- The medium-length wheelbase keeps the bike stable on the steeps without being too big in flatter terrain, while the balanced weight distribution contributes to the natural and agile feel.
- Geometry and power are well-tuned for all but the most technical climbs.
- The Heckler comes with top-end components.
- Users and experts loved the pop on the Heckler, which “gets off the ground better than most non-eMTBs.”
4 reasons not to buy
- Even by the standard of high-end eMTBs, this bike is prohibitively expensive.
- The Heckler is versatile, but for riders looking to drop steep, burly descents, other eMTBs offer more downhill-oriented geometry.
- Although not specific to the Heckler, the EP8 motor makes a slight clacking sound that can annoy riders who aren’t accustomed to it, and reportedly lacks power on steep climbs.
- Santa Cruz issued a recall in 2022 for a faulty latch that could cause the battery to fall out of its housing during a ride. The problem has since been fixed.
Bike Size Charts
BikeRide finds and shows you the best prices of the bikes you want to buy. Prices constantly change and it’s impossible to compare them all yourself.
We search for prices on over 120 bike retailers to guarantee that we find the lowest prices – to save you time and money.
It’s a promise we stand behind: If you find a lower price on a bike elsewhere, we will sell it to you for 10% less. For example, if you find a bike for $480 that we have listed at $500, we will offer you to buy it for $432 through BikeRide. The bike must be the same color and size, sold in the US and not include the use of a coupon.
If you find a lower price, email us at [email protected] with documentation of the price. We’re committed to making sure that the cost of a bike does not keep you from cycling!
Expert Reviews84/100 based on 4 rated expert reviews
2022 EMTB Shootout – Santa Cruz Heckler CC X01 AXS RSV Review
The relatively compact geometry doesn’t produce a great deal of natural front wheel weighting when seated, meaning the Heckler requires a more engaged rider when trying to climb up steep and technical terrain.
The Santa Cruz Heckler Gets More Versatile With Mullet and 29” Wheel Options, a 720Wh Battery, and Slacker Geometry
Santa Cruz’s Heckler electric mountain bike has been redesigned to turn it into a do-it-all machine, with mixed wheel size options, a 720Wh battery and slacker geometry.
Best Electric Bikes
1 day ago
1 day ago