Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on the Salsa Mukluk - Carbon. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
18 reasons to buy
- The Mukluk’s high modulus carbon frame was strong and light.
- HED Big Deal carbon rims were strong, light and remained true.
- A very generous standover height was appreciated from shorter riders.
- Vibration dampening was exceptional on rocks, roots and other gnar.
- SRAM Guide hydraulic brakes operated flawlessly in cold conditions.
- The main triangle's baggage allowance was generous for frame bag/s.
- A 50t granny-gear helped lift the Mukluk when loaded down or on icy climbs.
- 45NRTH Dillinger 5 tires handled mixed and messy terrain with aplomb.
- Geometry was suited to long donkey-slogs but also assisted climbs.
- Many bolts allow for most fork attachments, a toptube bag, a rear rack etc.
- Fat tires, from 4.0” to 5.0”, swallowed up chunky terrain.
- An upright riding position assisted handling and suited long tours.
- The Mukluk delivered power efficiently, thanks in part to short chainstays.
- A low bottom-bracket contributed to a stable yet lively ride quality.
- The carbon Mukluk was fun and capable on snow trails.
- SRAM X01 drivetrains were consistently smooth and precise.
- Internal cabling allowed unfettered attachment of frame bags and accessories.
- Wide, 800mm Rustler handlebars were wieldy on wreckless trails.
8 reasons not to buy
- A reviewer sought tires that rolled faster than the stock 4.8 Maxxis Minions.
- There’s no doubt that the 2020 Mukluk Carbon NX Eagle is a tad pricey.
- One tester’s rear thru-axle head came undone, making it difficult to remove.
- An alloy bolt corroded, allowing the lower part to fall inside the frame.
- The GX trigger shifter was said to feel “a little clunky”.
- An owner said they would’ve liked to see a chainguard protector.
- Salsa File grips were often disliked, for numbing hands on long rides.
- One long term owner felt that the Mukluk’s unique frame shape was ugly.
Expert Reviews98/100 based on 1 rated expert review
Salsa Mukluk Carbon GX Eagle Review
….a truly amazing fat bike that is light and comfortable. I would not hesitate to load it up and head out on a long bike packing trip or rip my favorite local single tracks like a demon possessed. The ride quality is superior, hands down.