The BikeRide Score ranks bikes from 0-100 based on opinions from users and experts. The higher the score is, the better. Read how it works
Where to buy
Not found for sale. More bikes
Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on this bike. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
5 reasons to buy
- The Malus easily rolls over debris, small rocks, fallen limbs, snow, dirt, loose earth and through shallow water.
- Owners felt that the Malus possessed stripped-back good-looks. It received many compliments and gazes from passers-by.
- A number of buyers found assembly to be straight-forward.
- A major appeal of the Malus is the low price. Even buyers who intended to swap out most of the components thought it was good value.
- Tinkerers and the mech-savvy found this bike fun to upgrade.
11 reasons not to buy
- Shifting troubles were rife with the provided gripshift. Some reviewers found that gears slipped and that shifting was tricky with sweaty hands. A number felt the shifter was mismatched to the Shimano Tourney hanger and chose to replace it with a standard shifter.
- Owners and experts felt that seven gears were not enough.
- Reviewers point out the low quality crankset, noting how it rattles.
- Poor packaging was not uncommon. Damage did occur, including scratches, bent hangers, bent frames and a stripped front axle.
- Greaselessness was a problem, with owners having to disassemble and re-lube many parts.
- Fatbikes are heavy, but the Malus is super-heavy, at 45 pounds.
- Brake levers are primarily plastic. A number of owners experienced the barrel popping out of its holder, rendering it irreparable. For both experts and users, discs were wobbly and sometimes disengaged completely, resulting in a broken pinky finger for one user.
- Chain-slip was an issue.
- Missing parts included pedals.
- The provided bottom-bracket allowed grit to easily enter.
- The seatpost and clamp were heavy and difficult to adjust or to fasten in place.
Expert Reviews0/100 based on 0 expert reviews
Mongoose Malus Fat Tire Bike
Level 3 expert
Compared to other bikes
In comparison to averages of categories
Average All Bikes
Average Mongoose Bike
Average Mountain Bike