Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on the Yakima HangOver. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
8 reasons to buy
- The HangOver is one of the few racks on the market that holds six bikes at once.
- The vertical-style rack uses less space behind the vehicle.
- Riders can choose between the four or six-bike option.
- The Limited Lifetime Warranty covers defects for life for the original owner.
- An expert reviewer praised the rack’s ability to avoid bike-to-bike contact (no shuttle scars).
- Users and expert reviewers agree that the HangOver has a durable feel.
- An adjustable mast means excellent ground clearance for off-road shuttling.
- The HangOver has great value per bike when fully loaded.
7 reasons not to buy
- The HangOver has a hefty price tag.
- The HangOver can only carry a bike weighing less than 37.5 lb with a front suspension fork and is not designed to carry downhill or e-bikes.
- The 6-bike version of this rack weighs almost 80 lb.
- Kids’ mountain bikes are too small even if they have a front suspension fork.
- The HangOver is too large to fit onto vehicles smaller than a midsized SUV/pick-up.
- There is no security option for bikes.
- Many users and an expert reviewer stated that this rack would be difficult for shorter people to load.
Bottom lineAlthough it is well-designed, well-built, and effective at carrying several adult enduro bikes at a time, the Yakima HangOver may be too specialized for riders, even within the mountain biking niche. This rack will function well if you are a tall adult with a large truck/SUV who likes to shuttle enduro bikes with a large group of adult friends. However, many groups have an outlier, such as somebody with an e-bike, a downhill rig, or a kids’ bike. Overall, many expert reviewers and users agreed that there were better options in this category of racks.
Bike Size Charts
BikeRide finds and shows you the best prices of the bikes you want to buy. Prices constantly change and it’s impossible to compare them all yourself.
We search for prices on over 120 bike retailers to guarantee that we find the lowest prices – to save you time and money.
It’s a promise we stand behind: If you find a lower price on a bike elsewhere, we will sell it to you for 10% less. For example, if you find a bike for $480 that we have listed at $500, we will offer you to buy it for $432 through BikeRide. The bike must be the same color and size, sold in the US and not include the use of a coupon.
If you find a lower price, email us at [email protected] with documentation of the price. We’re committed to making sure that the cost of a bike does not keep you from cycling!
Expert Reviews64/100 based on 1 rated expert review
Yakima HangOver Review
This rack might make sense for the enduro crowd with large vehicles and lots of friends. Casual riders or those seeking more versatility should consider a tray-style rack.
Yakima HangOver Review
This is great for mountain bikers who have tons of friends and want to load all their bikes on this rack.
Yakima HangOver 6 Mountain Bike Rack Install & Review
There are a few videos online about how to put these things together plus they came with really really good instructions. It’s not that hard.
Yakima HangOver 6 Review
This rack will not work with kids’ bikes with 20-inch wheels or smaller.
Yakima HangOver 6 Review!
It weighs a lot, especially if you put 6 bikes on it.
Yakima HangOver 4 Review
It’s made of steel so it’s very sturdy. Bad customer service compared to Thule.
Yakima HangOver 6 Assembly Guide & Review
Another one of my favorite features is that the bike rack reclines fully to the back with all the bikes on it so you can open your trunk.
Yakima HangOver 6 Broken!
Great rack however you shouldn’t [only] get two weeks of use out of a bike rack.
Yakima HangOver 6 Bike Rack
What stands out between this rack and others is the mounting system, Yakima have chosen to mount the bikes using the fork crown, not the front wheel, which in terms of bike racks is a big move to make.
Product Review: Yakima HangOver 6
The Hangover 6 rack is by far the burliest bike rack we have ever had here at the mag.
Yakima HangOver 6 Hitch-Mounted Bike Rack
You really don’t want any contact between the bike’s tires and your vehicle, so the option of running the rack at an angle is a nice feature.
Yakima HangOver 6 Vertical Hitch Bike Rack Review
I drove a few thousand miles with it holding 4 bikes, on and off road, and never re-tightened it and the rack held up really well. The bikes never came loose. Only issue – I did have two of the rubber straps break.