Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on the Thule T2 Classic. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
8 reasons to buy
- The T2 Classic has been nearly unchanged since 2005, a testament to its durability and functionality.
- Nearly every part is replaceable. Users expressed satisfaction with Thule’s Limited Lifetime Warranty covering mechanical failures.
- The T2 Classic can hold bikes up to 60 lb, making it a great option for many e-bikes.
- Thule manufactures both 1.25” and 2” hitch versions.
- Many users and expert reviewers praised the affordability of this setup.
- A 2-bike extension can be purchased separately.
- The folding system on the frame allows riders to stow the rack against the vehicle when it’s not in use, or tip it down to access the rear without taking bikes off.
- The T2 Classic comes standard with a hitch lock. A compatible bike lock is sold separately.
5 reasons not to buy
- The folding system may not have enough tip clearance to access the rear hatch or tailgate.
- Riders and an expert reviewer lamented the lack of compatibility with fat-tire bikes, despite the manufacturer’s claims to the contrary.
- At nearly 60 lb, the T2 Classic’s durability comes at the expense of weight.
- The rack requires tools to set up.
- The rack’s steel construction eventually results in some rusting.
Expert Reviews75/100 based on 2 rated expert reviews
Review: Thule T2 Hitch-Mount Rack
Sure, mine’s a bit rusty and bent out of shape (that’d be the nearsighted octogenarian in the Buick), but I’ve never had to replace the wheel straps or the telescoping arms. I’ve never even snugged up a bolt, added a drop of grease or considered performing any action resembling maintenance to the T2.
Thule T2 Pro XTR vs T2 Pro X vs T2 Classic Comparison
The T2 Classic includes a lock which is installed onto the end of the threaded hitch pin and prevents theft of the bike rack. You can then purchase a Thule 2 pack of locks which get installed into the arms of the bike rack.
Thule T2 Hitch Rack Review
The Thule T2 is a high-quality rack that can hold nearly any type and shape of mountain bike securely no matter what the road conditions, but at this price, I would expect to see better hardware used for the rear wheel ratchet strap and not have to worry about it marring my expensive fork.
3 hours ago
2 days ago