Bike Size Charts
BikeRide finds and shows you the best prices of the bikes you want to buy. Prices constantly change and it’s impossible to compare them all yourself.
We search for prices on over 120 bike retailers to guarantee that we find the lowest prices – to save you time and money.
It’s a promise we stand behind: If you find a lower price on a bike elsewhere, we will sell it to you for 10% less. For example, if you find a bike for $480 that we have listed at $500, we will offer you to buy it for $432 through BikeRide. The bike must be the same color and size, sold in the US and not include the use of a coupon.
If you find a lower price, email us at [email protected] with documentation of the price. We’re committed to making sure that the cost of a bike does not keep you from cycling!
Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on the Specialized Epic. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
16 reasons to buy
- The Epic is available in two models. The standard model has 100mm of travel in the rear and front. The EVO model has an additional 20mm of travel in the fork.
- This bike is available in numerous builds. The S-Works model is the highest in price and has the best components.
- The handlebars on the Epic are wide and provide riders with excellent stability over a variety of terrain.
- The 'Brain' suspension is an intuitive feature that adjusts to a rider's input and terrain. It does so without the rider ever having to flip a switch.
- Testers agree the Epic climbs quickly and efficiently with its short-travel suspension and perched riding position.
- The Epic's hubs use 28mm torque caps, providing additional stiffness. This allows for greater power transfer riding the Epic.
- Specialized Fast Trak tires feature a GRID casing that provides excellent grip over rocky terrain.
- The Specialized Epic is lightweight compared to other mountain bikes.
- The EVO version of the bike has a dropper post. This increases the bike’s performance on trails, especially on descents.
- Specialized offers the bike with an aluminum or carbon frame. This allows riders to pick a bike that best fits their frame preference and budget.
- The bike is available in sizes small through extra-large, allowing it to be used by riders of a wide height range.
- The bike has a shorter seat post. This allows riders the ability to run a longer dropper post if they desire.
- The Epic accelerates with ease, due to the powerful riding position and stiff frame.
- The Phenom saddle is comfortable, according to experts.
- Specialized includes one water bottle cage with the bike. There is room for up to two bottles.
- The bike has frame protection on the chainstays. This keeps this area free of damage and reduces the noise of chainslap.
5 reasons not to buy
- The standard version of the Epic does not include a dropper post.
- One tester found the SRAM brakes were a bit spongy. They would have preferred Shimano brakes.
- The geometry of the bike perches riders on top of the Epic. This can make steep descents feel awkward.
- The Epic is not designed to slowly maneuver technical terrain and take big hits on the trail.
- Experts agree that the price point on the S-Works version is high. They advised that lower-spec versions are just as capable and are priced more realistically.
Bottom lineThe Specialized Epic is a race-ready, cross-country beast. It is not designed for rowdy technical terrain. Specialized offers the Epic in standard and EVO versions. The EVO version has an additional 20mm of travel in the fork. It includes a dropper post and wider handlebars. The S-Works model is the best build of the Epic in terms of componentry. With features such as Specialized Fast Trak tires, frame protection, and the Brain suspension system, experts agree that this bike will please most cross-country trail riders.
Expert Reviews90/100 based on 1 rated expert review
Specialized Epic Comp Evo (2019) Review
The Epic Comp Evo, with no uncertainty, retains its XC roots thanks to the Brain shock and race geometry.
2019 Specialized Epic S-Works | Test Ride and Review | Faster Than My Trail Bike?
I had fun on it!
2019 Specialized Epic Evo | Test Ride and Review | Does EVO Mean Better?
This bike is fast.
Specialized Epic Expert Evo 2019 Review
Specialized have a magnificent cross-country race bike with the latest version of the Epic.
EPIC Carbon Comp 2019
The bike is absolutely awesome and I recommend buying it.
2019 Specialized S-Works Epic FS Review
The Specialized Epic has been a firm favorite on the cross-country scene for nearly two decades now, with the chassis and suspension being overhauled from the ground up for 2018.
The Specialized Epic Pro Is a World-Class XC Bike
The Epic Pro offers nearly identical ride qualities as the S-Works Epic at a fraction of the cost.
Specialized Epic EVO Review: XC Racer Gets Technical
Specialized takes cross-country mountain bike racing to a send-ier level with it’s newest high-end racer, the Epic EVO.
First Ride: 2019 Specialized Epic EVO
Using the same 100mm travel frame as the standard Epic, the EVO sports a little more suspension up front, wider handlebars, larger volume tires, and a dropper post.
The Better Choice – The Specialized Epic Expert EVO in Review
Named after the legendary Cape Epic stage race, the Specialized Epic is designed to hunt down seconds on the XC race circuit.