How to Calculate Chain Length
Measure the correct length of a new bike chain.
When you purchase a new chain, it usually comes with extra length so that it is compatible with most drivetrains. How do you know how much length your bike will need? Well, it’s really quite simple…
The first step is to wrap the chain around the largest sprockets on the front and rear, so that the ends meet on the largest front chainring. For this step, it really important to not run the chain through the rear derailleur.
Next, position the chain on the chainring’s teeth at the tightest spot you could connect the chain. Now add one whole inner and outer link, so that you have approximately one extra inch of slack in the chain. That will be the optimal length for most systems.
- Park Tool CT-5 Chain Tool
- Park Tool CT-3 Chain Tool
- Park Tool CC-3.2 Chain Checker
- Park Tool CC-2 Chain Checker
- Park Tool SK-3 Starter Mechanic Tool Kit
- Park Tool PK-3 Professional Tool Kit