Where to buy
Not found for sale. More bikes
Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on the Cannondale Topstone. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
14 reasons to buy
- Comfort from suspension and a balanced seating position was undeniable.
- Every model of Topstone is equipped with a full carbon fork.
- This rig is renowned for nimble, confident handling on sketchy surfaces.
- Some reviewers described Apex models as ‘relatively inexpensive’.
- It’s a cycling factotum; serving as a gravel, road, commuting and winter ride.
- The Kingpin active suspension system is a breakthrough in the gravel world.
- SRAM and Shimano hydraulic brakes were welcomed (on high-end models).
- WTB Riddler tires came tubeless-ready.
- The 2x12 drivetrain on the Carbon Force saw riders spoilt for a gear range.
- Subtle color schemes and discreet welds made for an appealing package.
- One expert felt this bike accelerated well, compared to the competition.
- Components were seen to be decent as specced. On 105 models, the groupset is lauded.
- Hollowgram wheels have wide, light, shallow rims strong enough for singletrack.
- Mounts are provided for three bottle cages, frame bags, spares, a rear rack, full mudguards and a top tube storage pouch.
11 reasons not to buy
- Experts bemoaned the Topstone’s less-than-stellar climbing abilities.
- Attaching a dropper post reportedly limited minimum seat heights.
- On-road, the Topstone rode well but wasn’t a 'road bike'.
- A long-term review said rims were heavy and didn’t stay true.
- Gear ratios and ranges were great off-road but not so fast on-road.
- One expert felt that internal cable routing was noisy.
- Carbon models were somewhat expensive, compared to the competition.
- One expert really would have preferred a threaded bottom bracket.
- The Force eTap AXS shifters were sometimes too bulky for smaller hands.
- A long-term reviewer felt that Cannondale could have provided more greases and lubes.
- On technical and rough terrain, small tire volumes and a high centre of gravity caused problems.
Expert Reviews90/100 based on 3 expert reviews
Best Gravel and Adventure Bikes
Gravel and adventure bikes with the highest BikeRide Scores