BikeRide finds and shows you the best prices of the bikes you want to buy. Prices constantly change and it’s impossible to compare them all yourself.
We search for prices on over 120 bike retailers to guarantee that we find the lowest prices – to save you time and money.
It’s a promise we stand behind: If you find a lower price on a bike elsewhere, we will sell it to you for 10% less. For example, if you find a bike for $480 that we have listed at $500, we will offer you to buy it for $432 through BikeRide. The bike must be the same color and size, sold in the US and not include the use of a coupon.
If you find a lower price, email us at [email protected] with documentation of the price. We’re committed to making sure that the cost of a bike does not keep you from cycling!
Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on the Vitus Substance. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
27 reasons to buy
- Reviewers felt that the pricing of CRX and V2 models was outstanding.
- The Substance showed excellent value for components in this price range.
- Tourers and bikepackers found the Substance eminently suitable.
- The presence of rack, fender and 3x bottle mounts were appreciated.
- There is plenty of clearance for wide 47c tires, with mudguards.
- The CRX’s stiff, all-carbon build delivered a comfortable, vibration-free ride.
- Some owners said their bike arrived fully tuned and ride-ready.
- Owners said the Substance rode fast and handled well on-road.
- Off-road descents were handled well by the CRX.
- 650b wheels and tires were seen as fast, fun and comfortable on the rough.
- Riders found the all-carbon CRX easy to throw around on dirt trails.
- Prime Kanza carbon rims on the CRX, were quiet, light and compliant.
- The CRX’s metallic “Copper / Gray” color-scheme was deemed awesome.
- A threaded bottom bracket made for easy maintenance.
- The SRS-2’s steel frame delivered a smooth and comfortable ride.
- A pleased rider said the fit of the Substance was exactly as described.
- On the VRS-2, the GRX-800 drivetrain was lauded.
- On the CRS-2 and VRS-2, GRX-400 hydraulic brakes were praised.
- Riders were impressed by WTB Byway 650b x 47c TCS Road Plus tires on the VRS-2.
- The CRS-2’s carbon frame felt light, responsive and stiff.
- Tubeless setup on the CRS-2 was said to be very simple.
- The CRS-2's 30t inner chainring easily saw a loaded tourer up steep hills.
- Buyers’ experiences with customer service were overwhelmingly positive.
- A V-2 owner enjoyed the user-friendliness of mechanical TRP Spyre brakes.
- Compatibility with both 650b and 700c wheels makes the Substance an all-roader.
- A tester appreciated the 16° flare on Vitus own-brand handlebars.
- One expert described the V-2’s blue-grey color scheme as a “classy touch”.
10 reasons not to buy
- A couple that purchased Vituses claimed both frames were undersized by 2cm.
- A number of buyers received stems shorter than what was specified.
- A few owners said shifters and brakes were set at too high an angle on handlebars.
- A rider’s seatpost was marked from adjustment, from new.
- A buyer felt that factory assembly of his CRS-2 was lacking.
- Handlebars seemed too narrow for a 6’1” rider, on the SRS-2.
- On asphalt flats, a tester found the CRX’s top gear to be a little low.
- One SRS-2 rider sought lower gearing from the GRX-600 drivetrain.
- One buyer didn’t receive tubeless valves, which should have been included.
- Some customers were disappointed to find that gears weren’t indexed properly.
Expert Reviews78/100 based on 3 expert reviews
Vitus Substance CRX
A really good all-rounder that works just as well on the commute as it does off the beaten track… I’ve ridden a lot of gravel bikes this year and this is the one that I have found most balanced as an all-round package… Against the similar Pinarello Grevil, the Substance CRX feels nippier over multiple terrains…