Where to buy
Not found for sale. More bikes
Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on the this bike. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
6 reasons to buy
- As far as components go, the STI Shifters are the main feature of the Shadow. It isn’t common to find them on a bike in this price range.
- Some riders enjoyed the handling of this bike, especially on descents and turns.
- It was a common remark, that buying the Vilano Shadow is a good way to teach yourself bicycle maintenance.
- The Shadow comes in at the lowest price-point for road-bikes, with amateur enthusiasts describing it as a good entry into the sport.
- At under 11kg, this was a pleasingly lightweight option for entry-level riders.
- More than one owner was satisfied with the provision of two bottle mounts.
9 reasons not to buy
- While the caliper brakes were considered effective, the brakes were described as plasticky and some people experienced slippage.
- Numerous riders experienced problems with the pedals shearing off the crank after riding a short distance .
- The saddle was almost universally uncomfortable for users, being described as rock-hard.
- Assembly problems were rife for many consumers, with the general consensus being that this bike should be taken to a local bike store for set-up.
- A lot of reviewers replaced components and only reported a smooth ride once this money had been spent.
- A 7-speed cassette is rare on modern road bikes and riders reported a lack of range in some areas.
- Some riders reported wheels arriving out-of-true. For others, they came out of true quickly.
- A number of users experienced shifting problems.
- The biggest complaint for this bike was that this quality of componentry demands frequent tuning and adjustment.
Expert Reviews0/100 based on 0 expert reviews
The Road Biker
Level 1 expert
Cycling Tips: Would You Recommend Your Vilano Road Bike To A Friend?
Level 1 expert
Best Road Bikes
Road bikes with the highest BikeRide Scores