Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on the this bike. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
19 reasons to buy
- The carbon frame and Fox front suspension fork create a stiff, stable and forgiving ride on the Santa Cruz Highball.
- The carbon frame has a lifetime warranty.
- The bike is available in four sizes, fitting a wide range of riders.
- The bike comes with the ESI Chunky grips that reduce vibration on the rider’s hands over rough terrain.
- The rigid carbon seatpost is narrow, increasing its vertical compliance and providing comfort to the rider.
- The Santa Cruz Highball is stable on descents and over rocky obsatacles, with its long wheelbase.
- The Highball corners well with a long wheelbase and reach.
- The 51mm fork offset sets the Highball up for excellent handling and steering on cross-country trails.
- The low seatstays and seat tube angle reduce trail chatter for the rider, increasing their overall comfort.
- The geometry of the bike places the ride over the pedals for greater power transfer.
- The Highball climbs efficiently with a wide range of gears.
- The Fox fork is lightweight and can be locked out from the handlebar switch, making it easy to adjust, on the fly.
- The Highball utilizes SRAM components to ensure the bike shifts smoothly and is responsive when braking.
- The external, threaded bottom bracket is easy to maintain.
- The Maxxis Rekon tires provide great traction on rides over loose dirt.
- The Highball is available in two builds. The higher end build includes the carbon Santa Cruz Reserve wheels that come with a lifetime warranty.
- This bike is an excellent option for larger riders. There is not a rider weight limit.
- The bike is designed to take on longer distances, with three water bottle mounts.
- Several experts agreed, the Santa Cruz Highball was immediately comfortable. One did not need several rides to get used to the bike.
2 reasons not to buy
- The base builds do not come with a dropper post, due to their added weight. Riders can choose to upgrade to a dropper post.
- One expert found the steep head tube angle made the bike fidgety.
Expert Reviews80/100 based on 1 expert reviews
Santa Cruz Highball 29 CC Custom Build Long-Term Review
The Highball has been the ideal hardtail for the type of riding I like to do and, while it’s not 100 per cent perfect, I’ve loved every minute riding it.
Santa Cruz Highball: Best Bikes in the World Live Ride Review
This bike is a serious pinner, I’ve been loving it today.
2018 Santa Cruz Highball 3 CC X01 Reserve – Review
The steering is a little bit sharper, a little bit more intuitive. Santa Cruz did that deliberately to keep the Highball as that sharp, agile, super fast hardtail.
Santa Cruz Highball-First Ride Review
The Highball is a fast-paced machine that handles best under a skilled and fit rider.
First Ride Review – Santa Cruz Highball CC Carbon 29
I would say that Santa Cruz reached its objective and that the bike has a wonderfully dampened feel while remaining lively and responsive.