Where to buy
If this bike is out of stock, take a look at our other highly rated bikes.
We earn affiliate commission. Learn more
Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on the Montague Paratrooper. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
14 reasons to buy
- One of the draws of the Paratrooper is that it’s a full-size bike, unlike most other folders.
- Owners said that the Paratrooper handles well and is responsive, stiff and smooth.
- Riders were pleased that this bike handles offroad trails as well as curbs and bumps.
- The larger 27.5 wheels on Highline and Elite models were appreciated for their faster rolling.
- Many owners found assembly to be quick and easy.
- Shifting was described as comfortable and smooth, if sometimes noisy.
- The Paratrooper felt solid, sturdy and indiscernible from a non-folding bike, even at speed.
- A lot of commuters thought this bike was fast and easy to fold and deploy.
- Comments revealed that the Paratrooper packs away well for travel and use in cars, trucks, boats, small apartments and planes.
- The high quality components (including a Shimano Deore XT drivetrain) impressed on the Elite model.
- Some owners felt this bike was a good weight for a full-size bike.
- Riders prized the easily adjustable front shock, which features a lock-out.
- The aluminum frame was often described as ‘high-quality’.
- For some owners, the portability of the paratrooper reduced chances of theft.
10 reasons not to buy
- Some owners experienced flaking of the paintwork where the bike folded.
- The stock grips were considered sub-standard by numerous reviewers.
- In instances where packaging and / or parts arrived damaged or scratched, customers were upset by the manufacturer’s policy, that shifts full responsibility to the carrier.
- Some buyers received an older model from a previous year (and returned it).
- A large number of reports mentioned the front fender’s poor design, resulting in its collapse.
- The position of the handlebars was too low for some, who installed a riser.
- Lower-end components on lower-end models were resented, with one bike mechanic saying this is to be expected, as one pays extra for the folding technology.
- A bike mechanic and Paratrooper owner acknowledged the need to tune everything out-of-the-box.
- The supplied tires struck some as unsuitable for cornering on rough trails.
- A number of users felt the pedals were cheap.
Expert Reviews0/100 based on 0 rated expert reviews
Best Folding Bikes
Folding bikes with the highest BikeRide Scores