Summary of Reviews
We have read all expert and user reviews on the GEN3 The OutCross. In summary, this is what cyclists think.
15 reasons to buy
- On straight stretches, the OutCross accelerates quickly.
- An independent throttle propels the OutCross from a dead stop, without pedaling.
- On a full battery, the OutCross can deliver up to 35 miles of range.
- The OutCross rides capably on ice, snow, dirt, roads and some singletrack.
- This is an attractive bike, with a concealed battery and metallic red frame.
- The OutCross’s Shimano Tourney groupset shifts crisply.
- Owners reported a smooth ride quality.
- Experts and owners say The OutCross is easy to assemble in 30 minutes to an hour.
- The OutCross’s battery can be removed for security or to charge it off the bike.
- An expert says The OutCross’s mechanical brakes are “reliable and effective”.
- GEN3’s customer service is lauded by buyers.
- The OutCross’s weld quality impresses owners.
- One expert says the OutCross’s left-handed thumb-operated throttle lets riders maintain a strong grip.
- The OutCross comes fitted with a sturdy kickstand.
- The stock saddle on this bike is plenty comfortable, for many riders.
13 reasons not to buy
- The OutCross is very tall, only fitting riders from 5’10” to 6’6”.
- With a bowed top-tube, The OutCross’s standover is very tall.
- The small, battery-operated rear light is disappointing for some owners.
- Significant chainslap chips paintwork on the OutCross’s unprotected chainstay.
- There is a slight lag in assist kicking in. One expert described it as “noticeable”.
- The OutCross comes with a kickstand, which is short and obstructive off-road.
- At 65.3lb, testers and owners found The OutCross heavy.
- The OutCross is limited to 20mph, with no easy way to unlock higher speeds.
- Some experts are disappointed by a lack of fenders.
- The OutCross’s display can be difficult to read in sunglasses.
- On steep trails, The OutCross’s fork can bottom out.
- A tester found the bike’s left-hand throttle placement to be awkward.
- On real backwoods trails, the OutCross’s mechanical brakes are underpowered.
Expert Reviews0/100 based on 0 rated expert reviews
The GEN3 OutCross E-Bike Is an Absolute Off-Road Beast & Does Not Disappoint
I’m a bit of an adrenaline junkie, so I like faster speeds and enjoy catching some air when I can, and between the fat tires and front suspension and electric motor, The OutCross hit all the right notes for me…